It's been a long time since we've planned a birthday party for a young child. Planning for teenagers is different.... they want expensive things, or just plain don't know what they want -- a sure sign they already have too much.
Planning for Emma's upcoming First Birthday Party is just fun! When I started thinking about it, I realized that while she could always use a few more clothes to wear, what this child REALLY needs is entertainment. The poor little thing has to make do with our old leftover toys, cast offs, and items-that-aren't-really-toys-but-get-used-that-way-anyway. Yes, I give my baby empty cardboard boxes on a regular basis. One day, she was playing in the pantry and had a bondage moment with the chair:
So last night, we went toy shopping, and it was such a kick to see her eyes light up as she was totally transfixed with real toys. (My policy is to always take small toddlers toy shopping with you, especially if you've got time before the gift date. They show you exactly what they really like, and by the time they receive it, they forget they've ever seen it before.)
I can't wait until Sunday, for her to open gifts (well, ok we'll help her open stuff) and find some of the coolest stuff she's ever seen in her life! Isn't it wonderful how small children are easily impressed? Now if only I knew how to impress jaded teenagers!
Fun! They have a great time with the toys that light up and buttons to push! Jayden is really happy with letter magnets right now and he carries them around as a security item a lot. Funny kid!
ReplyDeleteIt'll be so nice for you to experience the 1st birthday party and the cake smashing all over again!