My hair, that had been quite curly earlier in the day, has now relaxed and, well let's face it, it has drooped into barely wavy.
We are eating one of only a few variations of a simple dinner, and tonight it's a fried egg sandwich on toast. It's especially good, because it's got bacon on it, too. The bacon is perfectly fried:cooked through, but not overly crisp. The egg is also cooked through, and is a nice golden brown around the edges. We're sitting in the living room with our TV trays that have the weird Hawaiian flower on them.
It's 6:30 pm. I know this, because "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom," with Marlin Perkins is on, and my family is gathered around the TV. Besides, "The Wonderful World of Disney" is on next anyway. When the commercial comes on again, I'll have to change into pajamas.
Whoa -- no wait! That was the time warp that I was whisked into this afternoon, when I had a fried egg sandwich. It's amazing how food can do that do you: take you right back into an old memory. (Did I mention the TV was black-and-white, with rabbit ears on top?) I couldn't help it when an "Mmmmmmm" escaped with my first bite.
Todd was having a moment, too, but his sandwich was a BLT, with sliced tomato from the garden. (I think I heard an, "mmmmm" from him as well!) We love summer meals with foods from the garden. It's so much better when it's really fresh.
As a kid, we had a few different things for easy Sunday-evening dinners. Mom knocked herself out on a big meal in the middle of the day. Another I remember was bread-and-milk. We ate it in a bowl, like cereal, with honey on it. (My mom's homemade bread was not soft like store-bought bread, so it could stand up to being soaked in milk) It wasn't fancy, but it was home.
What good food memories do you have? Have you eaten something recently that was just like what you had as a kid? You should try it, I really recommend it!
I've been meaning to make some More like my mom made for us a lot- tomato sauce with spices, elbow macaroni, hamburger and corn. Mmmmmmm.
ReplyDelete