Monday, March 25, 2013

Happy Pi Day!

I know, I'm slow on the blog posts. Somehow, trying to keep up with life trumps recording life on the blog. And, Yes. It's another post in the recipe category. For my kids, who I hope someday will want these recipes!
 
 
 
You thought I was joking when I said that I was on a baking kick right now???? HA! You have no idea.

So for Pi Day/Pie Day, the girls wanted to bring some pies to school. We were on track for 5 pies, but that plan got derailed when we remembered a chiropractor appointment that would completely interrupt a class for which we'd be making pies. Whew -- that last sentence structure was almost painful.
 
So instead, we were down to 2 pies for school. Do-able. Throwing together a cherry pie and an Oreo pie were no problem. (That Oreo pie had issues -- let's just say that I won't be making that version again.)
 
For home -- only favorites would do. And it had been a long time since I'd had a slice of lemon meringue pie.


 
Oh! Be still, my heart!!
 
So, for the record, .... I have to thank Enid. I don't know who Enid is. No clue. I have never met the woman, or even seen a picture of her. But man, oh man ..... Enid knows her stuff, and she for sure knows how to make a really good Lemon Meringue Pie!!
 
My copy of the recipe came from a college roommate, and it has seen better days:
 
 
My roommate didn't know Enid, either!! Who was this woman?? Enid's recipe actually makes 3 pies, but I didn't want to overdo it. The recipe divides easily into thirds, and a few years ago, I scribbled reduction amounts in pencil on the recipe card. (I wonder if the recipe was originally a single, and was multiplied to get more?)
 
You have to start out with blind baking a pie shell. I guess you could buy a pre-made pie shell instead, but why? Pie crust is easy, and I have that new rolling pin  ... and I've just always made my own anyway.
 
So, basically, you roll out the pie crust, put it in the dish, crimp the edges, and prick the whole thing with a fork so you won't get bubbles. Then you line it with a layer of foil, and fill that with pie weights, or:

 
..... dry beans. I've never used pie weights. I keep an old drink cup full of dry beans that I use over and over when I need to blind bake a crust. So, you bake it like that for about 10 minutes. Unsure about it? -- Google it, because doesn't Google know everything? Meanwhile, start by separating 3 eggs.
 
 
Then be sure to get everything else ready. This is really one of those times that you want all the stuff pre-measured, and ready and waiting. This means, get your oven pre-heated NOW, too. 350 degrees, please.

 
For the lemon filling:
 
1 1/2 cups sugar
7 T. Cornstarch
dash salt
1 1/2 cups water
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 t. grated lemon peel
2 T. butter
1/2 to 2/3 cup lemon juice

These are the amounts for just one pie. Sometimes I add some yellow food coloring, but it's not necessary.

 
Here's a trick I learned a long time ago about adding ingredients to a bowl (or pot). If you're measuring multiples, like our 7 tablespoons of cornstarch, when you add it to the pot, put each spoonful in a different location. That way, if you should get distracted and lose count, you can count the piles and still be on track! It works great for adding spices to something, too. So that's why you see 6 little domes -- and one collapsed little dome.
 
I also like to stir together the cornstarch and sugar, before adding the water. It helps to keep the cornstarch from lumping. Cook the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and water over low to medium heat, until thick. When it starts out, it's very thin:

 
It will thicken in clear-ish chunks first, .... if you look really carefully, you can see  one of the thickened  chunks just below the spoon in this next picture:

 
Then as it comes to a boil, it will start to thicken all at once:

 
Then you add the egg yolks. Although Enid doesn't mention it, I would temper the egg yolks with the hot mixture, so that you don't scramble the eggs. Cook for a minute after adding the yolks, and then add the rest of the ingredients.


 
Yes, I think it's "yellow" enough, without adding food coloring.
The other thing Enid says, is to let the filling cool... but that's the other change I make. Popular wisdom now says to keep the filling hot --it will help the meringue.
 
Which means, WHILE it's cooking, you want to be making the meringue at the same time. And that's why a stand mixer is best, so you have your hands free. Not sure why I used my hand mixer in these pictures. Maybe the others were busy with other baking. Just possibly.

 
Yeah, the back of the recipe card is almost as stained scribbled, and smudged as the front!
 
Beat the egg whites....

 
Until you get stiff peaks -- which looks like this:

 
If the top of your egg white peaks fall over, they're not stiff enough yet. Enid adds a teaspoon of lemon juice while still beating. Once the whites are nice and stiff, add 6 tablespoons of sugar and a little bit of cream of tartar. The cream of tartar helps stabilize the egg whites, and keeps the meringue from "weeping". But don't dump it in all at once -- you'll collapse those wonderful air bubbles you worked so hard to get in there. Sprinkle it on gently, a little bit at a time, until it's all incorporated in.
 
Now, you need to get moving. Get that filling into the baked pie shell. I think mine had cooled a little more than I would have liked...

 
Don't stop to lick the spoon yet. It will keep.... as long as no one else in the house knows what you're doing here! Add the meringue to the [hot] filling right away.

 
Make sure you spread the meringue all the way to the edges of the crust ...

 
... and make sure you get a good seal of the meringue against the crust. This helps to keep the meringue from shrinking. So, not just barely touching the crust, but really smooshed into it. Smoosh. It's a technical term.
 
After that, you want to even out the meringue, and that's when I do things the way my mom used to. She would always encourage the meringue into peaks, right on top of the pie:

 
That's the uncooked pie, with the meringue still soft. Occasionally, Mom had over-beaten the egg whites, and then she could only get short little points out of it. But this stuff turned out great, and made pretty peaks and waves. The first time I saw a store-bought lemon meringue pie, I couldn't believe the meringue was just a plain dome on top. What's fun about that??

 
Then you bake this baby. My mom used to zap it in the broiler at a high temperature, just a few minutes, until the meringue darkened. But Enid (and from some of the reading I've done) keeps it at a lower temperature, but cooks it longer. So, 350 degrees, for 12-15 minutes... until it starts turning golden brown on top. Don't overdo it and get it too dark.
 
And then have lots and lots of patience, until it's cool enough to cut and eat.
 
 
The other thing I would say about lemon meringue pie is that it's really just best to go ahead and eat it right away. If you think you're going to eat a little at a time, over a few days -- then the meringue starts getting tough and chewy, and the filling gets watery. Just eat it. Eat it now.
 
Later that evening, I also made an apple pie for Todd and Alyssa -- because not everyone shares my pie preferences! Sorry that I didn't take any pictures -- but Pi Day was a success at the Haven this year!
 
And, Enid -- whoever and wherever you are -- (she could be dead, for all I know) -- thank you for the great pie recipe! I think of you with every bite....
 
.....mmmmmmmmm......
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...