Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Keeping Busy

Just so you know, I'm not a total slacker. I know I should get a few more things posted on this blog, but I'm not just sitting around. Case in point:

The daughter of a friend of mine is getting married this month. You know you're old when your friends kids (as well as your own!) are old enough to be getting married. When I offered to help out in preparations, they asked if I knew anything about doing flowers. (Because they have a separate reception 2 weeks after the wedding date, they chose silk flowers.)

This, I can do.

When Todd's mom owned a craft store years ago, I learned how to do wedding flowers. And even though it's been a number of years since I last did anyone's flowers, it's a snap to do them again. So here's the bride's bouquet:

She chose all of her flowers and  embellishments before I came along, and I only did the assembly here. I love her calla lilies, and how she brought in her wedding purple without using purple flowers. She wanted the hand-tied bouquet look (which is hugely popular right now), and this bouquet isn't overly large, because she is a very petite girl. It works perfectly for her stature.

Her corsages and boutonnieres all use miniature calla lilies, but I especially like the feathers with them. The groom's bout is on the bottom right, with the silver cone at the base.


And finally, since she had some leftover flowers, we did a quick and easy version of a throwaway bouquet. It has long ribbons on it, so that they trail prettily when the bouquet is thrown. And she won't actually have to throw her own bouquet, which can be saved.


It took the better part of a day, plus another hour on a different day, to complete her flowers. I'm afraid I kind of "took over" and did almost all of it myself, as opposed to helping her do them. (I think she preferred it that way, though, so we're golden!) And she says she loves them, so I'm glad she's happy, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...