It's softball season!
After months of off-season work, the high school season has started and we have games going.
I have to say that I am so pleased with both my girls, and how hard they worked through the high school tryouts period. Although Alyssa, a junior, had no worries about whether or not she would make the Varsity team again, she still worked very hard at her pitching. The down side to that is that she's been a regular at the chiropractor's office because of her sore back. We are fairly certain that her back problems will go away as we get her core muscles strengthened. She has a pitcher's tendency to be more developed on one side of her body than the other, which wreaks havoc on her back. As long as we can be back to 100% by Districts (or before), we should be golden.
As a freshman, Darcie had a lot more riding on whether she could make the Varsity team. She took a look at the talent level among the high school girls, and decided that she really did not want to stay down on the JV team. Varsity was her goal. It helped that the coach was looking for a girl to fill the catcher position vacated by a graduated senior. There were only 3 girls trying for the catcher position: a senior who had moved into our area, a junior who was a returning Varsity player, and our Darcie.
I have to give Darcie credit: she busted her butt at tryouts. She came home one day with grass stains on a knee: "I was going for a ball in the outfield." Another day, she came home covered in dust: "I dove into 3rd base." And the great thing about it was, that her hard work paid off: not only did she make Varsity, she's the only freshman on the team, and.... she is currently the starting catcher.
She does feel a bit intimidated by being the youngest amongst all the older girls on the team, and she's perhaps not as loud or commanding on the field as she might be. But she'll learn, and as she gains more experience, she'll gain more confidence also. (She did throw a girl out at 2nd base during the first game -- woot!!)
That previous photo is Darcie calling 2-outs. Alyssa has had a slower start to the season, as we're trying to get her past that sore back. So she's pitched less, and did not bat at first, either. She's still got great form, and that huge 8' stride:
So although this isn't my favorite camera angle, this next photo is great because it shows both our girls in the shot, as Alyssa pitches to Darcie. Note the ball on its way to the plate:
I know this next picture looks the same, but for one little difference. Alyssa is throwing a different pitch: the knuckleball. She learned this one last summer from her travel team coach, and it is proving to be an effective option for her. See her knuckles bent over on top of the ball?
I tease Darcie about this next photo. She has a bit of an airhead look, like she's playing with her hair during the coach conversation in the circle! She tells me her hair was caught, and she was just getting it free again. Surrrre, sweetie!
Darcie showing bunt....
And Alyssa at 3rd base. Still her favorite secondary position. I'm not sure if I would want to bunt against her, because she comes crashing in pretty hard to go for the throwout at first base.
So, let the games begin. My daughters may not be the absolute best players out there, but I have utmost confidence and belief in them when they are trying to the best of their abilities. Besides, as their mom, it's my job to believe in and encourage my kids. Who else will believe in them as much as their own parents? What's really cool is to see them achieve their goals that they set for themselves.
And don't let the photos deceive you. The sun may have been out for a bit, but overall, these first games have been a continuous round of rain, wind, and freezing temps. I will watch any game, but it's a lot more fun to watch softball when it involves sunshine, shorts, flip flops, and sunblock.
I'm sure it's more fun to play when it's warmer, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment