Two years ago, when we said goodbye to him at the Missionary Training Center, Emma was just 6 months old. We didn't exactly know how we could keep him real for her while he was gone. She was so very little! And I expect that when he arrives, she'll probably be shy around him at first. She'll warm up, though.
Emma is very good about identifying Brandon in pictures. The two of them also had a great moment during our Christmas Skype phone call with him, as they sang "Popcorn Popping" together. It was a tender mom moment, believe me!
In our living room, we have a digital photo frame. At one point, we'd had family pictures on it for Emma. Several months ago, Todd changed the slideshow to one of Brandon's missionary photos that he's emailed to us over the months. He added some missionary-type background music, like "Called to Serve", "Praise to the Man" and "Ye Elders of Israel".
One of Emma's sneaky-two-year-old things to do is to slip into the room, and turn on the frame. Then she'll climb up in the nearby chair and watch the photos change for a while:
I know when she's been in there, because I'll hear the background music going. And if I turn it off (when no one's around), she will slip back in and turn it on again. Like it SHOULD be on all the time, Mom! Emma's done this so often, that she's starting to learn the words to the songs. In fact, I'll bet she's pretty unique as a two-year-old to know the chorus to, "Ye Elders of Israel"!!!
"Oh Babylon, Oh Babylon, we bid thee farewell! We're going to the mountains of Ephraim to dwell."
Perhaps for Brandon, it will be, "Oh Jamaica, Oh Jamaica, I bid thee farewell. I'm going to the mountains of Idaho to dwell...... "
No comments:
Post a Comment