It's been a while since I've put up a food post.
Well, ok. Let's be honest.
It's been a while since I've put up ANY post. Which is just as good a reason as any for putting up a food post, right?? (In case you're a little lost -- I've been slowly but surely working on getting some of our recipes posted on the blog -- mostly for my posterity, but if you want to follow along and make yummy food too, well go right on ahead!)
Well, ok. Let's be honest.
It's been a while since I've put up ANY post. Which is just as good a reason as any for putting up a food post, right?? (In case you're a little lost -- I've been slowly but surely working on getting some of our recipes posted on the blog -- mostly for my posterity, but if you want to follow along and make yummy food too, well go right on ahead!)
So, we'd had both Alyssa & Darcie in to see the oral surgeon at the same time, on the same morning, to have their wisdom teeth removed. I know -- it's crazy talk, right?? You should have listened to the two of them talking while they were still "under the influence" .... of the anesthetic, that is. Holy cow, was that ever amusing! Darcie was particularly chatty. Hahhahahahaha!!!!
So that is what explains the lineup of prescription bottles that happen to be in the background of the photo here:
And it should also explain why the food topic is pudding, too, right?! So I made up some homemade vanilla pudding as part of their recovery menu. (The pot of boiling water in the background is for the Jello, which was also on the menu!)
Homemade pudding isn't hard at all, and actually doesn't take too much time, once you have everything out and ready. I actually prefer homemade chocolate pudding over vanilla, but since the girls had asked for vanilla, that's what I made this time.
Here's how it goes:
Homemade Vanilla Pudding
(makes 4 1/2-cup servings)
1/3 cup sugar
2 T. cornstarch
1/8 t. salt
2 cups milk
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 T. butter
2 t. vanilla extract
The first thing I always do is mix together the sugar and the cornstarch and the salt in a saucepan. It really helps to keep the mixture from lumping. Then, add in the milk gradually, stirring as you add it.
(Make sure you juggle the pot handle, wooden spoon, pouring the milk, and a camera, all at the same time, you know.)
I never can understand the Food Network programs that show them dumping the whole amount of liquid in, and then stirring it. Seriously?? I always add it slowly, and stir as I go. Another little gem: If you mix a cold liquid with cornstarch, it doesn't lump. Hot liquids -- no promises.
I don't have all the in-between pictures. Probably because this recipe isn't real conducive to pausing for photo sessions. Whisk the egg yolks lightly in their bowl. Cook the milk mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and boils. Boil (keep stirring) one minute. Did you know it takes one minute for your thickening ingredient (whether you thicken something with flour or cornstarch, it's the same).... to reach its full thickening capacity?
Then, you need to temper the egg yolks, so they don't curdle (hello, scrambled eggs!). So, you pour about a third of the hot milk mixture slowly into the egg yolks, (again, stirring as you go!) and then blend it all back into the rest of the hot milk mixture that's still left in the pot. (I use a silicone scraper to get all of it.) Boil again for 1 minute.
Remove from heat, and stir in the butter and vanilla extract. Then pour the hot pudding mixture into four individual dessert dishes. Cool for a few minutes. At this point, I take a piece of plastic wrap, cut it into fourths, and put a small piece of wrap directly on the surface of the still-hot pudding, before I put them all in the refrigerator. This will help it to keep from forming a "skin" on the top.
Do not fail to serve it with whipped cream on top.
It's Sooooo good!!
So, here are a couple of the variations on this recipe. I have made the chocolate version several times, but I haven't tried the butterscotch version. (Make sure you grate some milk chocolate over the whipped cream when you serve the chocolate one!!)
Butterscotch Pudding: Substitute 2/3 cup packed brown sugar for the white sugar, and only use 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (instead of 2)
Chocolate Pudding: Increase sugar to 1/2 cup and stir 1/3 cup cocoa powder into the dry sugar mixture. No butter needed.
Finally, serve to two very swollen-mouthed, sore-mouthed girls.
They will love you forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment