Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sweet Love!

One of my favorite quotes is from comedienne Rita Rudner. I looked for a source, so I could get the wording correct, and I can't find it. You're stuck with my best guess, which is:
 
"I support any holiday that's based on candy."
 
She could have said, "chocolate" instead of candy, but I don't remember well enough. I'm thinking Halloween, Easter, Christmas, Valentine's.... YUM!!
 
So for Valentine's Day this year, I got adventurous, and made some cinnamon rolls for my Seminary class. I actually wanted to try out my Pinterest pin that showed how to make the rolls heart-shaped:
 

It's just a different take, and not any more difficult than shaping regular cinnamon rolls, and it was kinda fun! You just roll them from both sides, instead of one, and pinch the bottom of the hearts to get the point. I spaced them out so they would keep their shape, which worked pretty well. I also tried a different recipe, which included caramel icing (I usually make a vanilla icing)... which is why the icing in these pictures looks brownish. Tasted great, but not overly-caramel.


So I took two full trays to Seminary. And milk --- because isn't that a requirement with cinnamon rolls??

And this is what was leftover....
 

We also made some shortbread cookies for the preschoolers, since that was our week to teach preschool, and we had the Valentine party at our house:


The frosting looks a little tweaked because the plastic wrap hit it before it was set. Todd tinted some great colors for me!

Valentine's Day really started on the day before for me, when Todd's beautiful flowers arrived for me at Welenco! He truly is the BEST, and is so good about remembering things!


The preschoolers: adorable! First with silly faces:


And also with sweet faces!

 
After Preschool, Todd and I went out to lunch and shared a yummy platter of shrimp pasta and lobster tails.... mmmmm!! We've discovered that going out to lunch on Valentine's Day beats going out to dinner, because restaurants aren't as busy during the day. So we got a great meal, plus great service. Score!

I wish I could get the video off my phone (too large a file, it claims).... to show you the Singing Valentine that the Gold Voices kids sang at Welenco that afternoon! They did an awesome job of it -- and sang their new one: "Got to Get You Into My Life". It kinda makes me a bit sad to think that this is Alyssa's last year of doing Singing Valentines.

Emma loved Valentine's Day, and loved doing things in the family with bags and hearts and little gifts that Grandma Huffaker had provided for us. It really was a fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...