A few years ago, Darcie had a fixation on babies. She desperately wanted a little brother or a little sister (rooting for a sister, but would have taken a brother if that's all she could get!), and wanted to know why we thought our family was "done." She didn't want to be the baby of the family, even if she did get spoiled.
I know. This is SO ironic!
So we took one of her baby dolls and I showed her a number of things about how to care for a new baby. This seemed to satisfy her, but it still wasn't as good as having a real baby. She steadfastly promised that she would help me with EVERYTHING and wouldn't get tired of it, and wouldn't mind stinky diapers, and couldn't we please, please, PLEASE have another baby??
Little did any of us know that Emma would be joining our family.
Little did I know that Darcie would make good on all those promises!
It is heartwarming to watch Emma & Darcie together. Darcie has a ton of energy for her baby sister and will play with her on Em's level more than any of the rest of us. Darcie also has her antennae up and listens for Em fussing, or will come get her (without being asked) if Emma is hampering my movements, like hanging on me while trying to cook. Darcie will often get her out of bed when she wakes in the morning and go feed her breakfast & get her dressed for the day.
It is an amazing thing, and I am surprised that Darcie has so much patience with Em. Not that the rest of us don't play and interact with Emma. In fact, Alyssa also is tuned in to Em, especially at night, because they share a bedroom. Sometimes when Em fusses, I get up to soothe her, and find that Alyssa already has her in her arms, rocking her back and forth. (And this morning as I write this post, it was Alyssa that got Emma up and cooked her breakfast!)
My girls are both so much help! Don't know if I could be an older mom without their backup.
One thing we wish Darcie hadn't taught Emma is to scream (to scare you). They will go through the house, hide behind a door or furniture and then jump out at the other and scream to scare them. Not in a bad way, it's more of a surprise to make the other jump. Darcie started doing it to Emma, and now Emma has picked up on it and does it back, both to Darcie and to others.
Emma got me once when I was working in the kitchen and wasn't expecting a scream. Yes, I jumped!
What was hilarious was the other day when Emma got Darcie, and got her good. Darcie was down in the rec room, where we have our exercise equipment -- the treadmill, Bowflex and Darcie's ab circle. She was adjusting the bowflex and had her back to the doorway, so she didn't see or hear Emma come in.
From upstairs, I heard Emma's scare-you scream. Then I instantly heard Darcie's louder scream in response!!!!!!!! It was CLASSIC.
Darcie will often bring Emma into her bedroom to play. She closes the door (so Em can't get away!) and will entertain her. She even does this when she's doing her own homework. This photo is of Emma "helping" turn pages in Darcie's textbook.
This is great mom-training for my girls. Now I wonder what we'll do for mom-training for Emma. Maybe she'll have some nieces and nephews by the time she's old enough to learn.
What a beautiful relationship your girls have with Emma!
ReplyDeleteA family in our ward had a baby after they were 'done' (The youngest was 9ish- the oldest was on a mission) A few of their older girls (the 19 and 17 year old ones) had a huge problem with the new little one. They hated her. They despised their parents for having her. Even though the youngest is now in kindergarden, they are still having issues with the older siblings not liking the youngest.
I have to say, you certainly were blessed with awesome helpers!