Monday, November 16, 2009

Potluck Pride

So last Friday was a ward (church) dinner -- a potluck. I have to convince and almost drag Todd to ward potlucks, because it seems like every time, the same thing happens: he comes away feeling hungry still, and very dissatisfied with the choices. Although it might sound like he's picky--he's not: I'm the picky one! And in reality, there's a lot of truth to what he says. I was left wondering a number of things -- and it's not the first time I've thought this.....
  • Why is it that people seem to not bring main dishes, and instead bring desserts? Even when they were "assigned" main dishes by virtue of their last name. I guess that would be a modified potluck, but it makes sense to try for some balance in the meal.
  • Do these people REALLY eat like this? Or did they only bring the cheap food because it's for church? I'm not asking for lobster and steak, just something a little beyond beans and rice.
  • Does no one believe in salt, seasoning, or flavor? It seems like we're getting the lunch special from the old folks' home: Bland, bland, bland. Yawn.
  • Am I the only one who feels this way?
  • Why do some seem to think that bringing a small bowl of bean salad is an appropriate size of dish for sharing in a large group?
  • Also, especially when I was working full time, why do I feel slighted when I make a homemade "something" and someone else with less demands on their time than I -- picks up the cheapest 50-pack of cookies from the grocery store to bring for their contribution? It's like The Singles Ward when he brings KFC chicken to the "Break the Fast" activity. Except KFC Chicken actually tastes good.
  • Why is it that the less affluent families in the ward attend, but the elite seem to tend to stay away? (I know that answer to that one!)
  • Is it actually SO bad that even many of the less affluent families stay away.... maybe they're thinking they'll actually fare better at home.

I can understand that some people bring what they do because they're looking for the easy way out. But doesn't anyone take any pride in their potluck dishes? It seems like people used to care about it and were almost competitive about the food they brought. To me, one of the ways to tell how well I cooked was if there were any leftovers to take home. If there was still food in my Pyrex dish, then I obviously didn't do well enough. [I have my own personal competition barometer! ]

On that note, there have been two times that I really felt like my dish was a potluck success.

  1. I once went to pick up my empty dish from the table, when I found a retired schoolteacher waiting there, watching to see who claimed the empty dish. She wanted my recipe for an upcoming family reunion, and wanted it bady enough to stake out the food table!
  2. Once we showed up late to a potluck soup dinner. I had stretched the "soup" directive to include stew, which I'd made in our Dutch Oven in the oven at home. We brought it, covered, into the hall and had to make room for it on the table. I was thinking our stew wouldn't get finished because everyone had already come through the line for a first helping. One brother was coming for seconds after a less-than-filling first try. He said to me, "I don't know what you have in there, but I want some of it!" That night one large family ate most of our stew. The mom later told me her children had all wanted it because the kids recognized it and preferred it.

So, unfortunately, our ward's activity was a bit poorly attended. It's possible that part of the reason the attendance was down last week is because there was no entertainment provided. Sure, it's nice to be able to visit and socialize with others, but sometimes it's also nice to have "dinner and a show". Plus, if you have something scheduled for entertainment, then at least you're guaranteed that the participants will be there, thus increasing overall attendance, right?

Soooo...... my job right now is the Relief Society (ladies) Activities. I'm tossing around in my head an idea for a RS activity in January or so, and calling it, "Potluck Pride". I'd like to offer a crafty section where the ladies can use glass etching cream to etch their last names on the bottom of their own casserole dishes. (No more unclaimed dishes!!) And then to also have a food part, where recipes are discussed and demonstrated of appropriate and appealing and delicious casseroles and other main dish and/or salad options. Desserts are fun too, but apparently we don't have a problem there. (Other than that 50-pack of storebought cookies!)

My worry is that someone will be offended that I didn't like what they brought to a potluck dinner!!!

2 comments:

  1. The rule at our church potlucks is that you should bring something that you would want others to bring. It's the golden rule of potlucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you whole hearted! Why do people bring a 50 pack of cookies?
    Our ward does a chili cook off at the harvest festival. We usually get a lot of Chili (It's cheap to make, so lots can participate) The ward does cheese/sour cream etc..
    Our ward also has a cooking group. First friday of every month. We have theme (Chocolate & cheese, garden harvest, crockpot, mexican... etc....) and we get about 15-20 sisiters that show up. Everyone brings their recipies that we post on a website and everyone make one batch of their recipe to share.
    If you want to check it out: http://cooking.jgriffiths.org
    username: cooking
    password: gahanna
    (all lower case)
    It's the most fun enrichment group to attend. We did find that the 'chicken' one was a little too much. there was soo much savory and not enough sweet or anything else to compliment it.
    We also have one volunteer to bring like sprite or another type of beverage aside from water.
    Maybe having a cooking group could bolster the ward's flavor :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...