If you're just starting, you may want to catch up with the previous Family Reunion posts, to read them in order:
So, Day 3 of our amazing Family Reunion was all about Penny's clan & the guys.
Poor Todd had another "vacation day" of getting up super-early --- for some
DEEP-SEA FISHING!!
They drove down to Depoe Bay, and left from the marina there. Eleven of the 19 non-crew members on that boat were from our family!
That's the boat they were on!
Their captain had one major rule: "Just don't throw up on my boat."
(There were some sickies among us, and most of the sickies made it over the edge --
except one little guy!)
Todd and Cameron were both fine and didn't get seasick out on the waves that day.
They did had a great day out there! They caught mostly sea bass: 48 fish for the Huffakers!!
When the guys got their fishing licenses, several of them also got their shellfish license. On the way out, they put out the crab traps, and on the way back in, they picked them up:
There was plenty of crab -- they came close to catching their limit on them.
That's a lot of crab!
When they got back to the dock, they had the dock guys fillet out the fish, and boil the crab. For $1 per fish and $1 per crab -- it was WELL worth it!! Todd said they worked so fast on filleting, it was really something to watch, and they "made bank" between their filleting earnings and the tips that day.
(By the way, if you were wondering, Darcie, Emma and I did a bit of shopping while they guys were gone that morning!)
So, with all that crab -- what would be better, than to have a family bonfire & crab feed on the beach??
YUM!!
That afternoon, when I went to the store with Kerry & Jason, I thought I'd round out the crab with some deli chicken and garlic bread. The garlic bread was no problem, but the store we went to didn't have a deli in it. No hot, pre-cooked chicken. Hmmm.
Well, we hadn't had foil dinners in quite a while, and we love them.
Perfect opportunity!
Darcie helped me make up the foil packets. Trying to keep it simple, I skipped carrots this time, and just did potatoes, onions and ground beef. Borrowed salt and pepper from the hotel, as well as plates and forks. (I didn't think it through all the way when I was at the store!)
It was late afternoon, and the sun was setting when we headed down. I love that we were so close to a drive-down beach access. No hauling food, coolers, chairs, etc. on foot across vast stretches of sand. It was wonderful!!
Jason has some serious cooking skills..... remember our holiday FEAST back here??
So Jason and Kerry and Erica prepped the crab -- and we didn't even cook all they'd caught that day. (I have crab and sea bass in my freezer at this very moment.) I'm not sure how Jason did it, but I know that butter, garlic and lemon juice were all involved. How can you go wrong with that?!
The non-seafood eating princess had mac and cheese for dinner -- and loved it.
Most of the family came down to the beach that night.....
(Wow, that is SOME hair color there, Miss Darcie!!)
If you can't tell by the beachwear fashion, it was kind of windy and a little cool on the beach that evening. Most of us had sweatshirts on, and we kept our hoods up. No one was going for the gangsta look on purpose. Jason was moving enough that a coat didn't seem to be needed!
(Another beautiful beach sunset that night!!)
Those foil packets are all crab -- three whole crabs in each packet. Ohhhhh, yum!!
Oh, and that garlic bread? Once we figured out the timing for heating it -- it was a perfect go-along. I'm filing that one in my brain for future cookouts --heating a foil bread bag on the coals is SO easy!!
Crab legs, anyone?
(I personally, LOVE that photo of the family. A perfect moment in time!!)
So, because it was chilly for some, they packed up and went back to the lodge.
But we weren't cold (and we'd parked the vehicles to help block the wind.), plus .....
we had fixings for s'mores.
So Todd & I and the kids hung out by the fire for a while longer, and had dessert, too.
Did you know that if you eat crab around a bonfire, and then have s'mores after that, and then lick chocolaty-marshmallow off your fingers -- they still have a buttery-garlic taste to them?
It's true!!
Bahahahaha!!!
Miss Chocolate-Face.
It really was just a perfect way to end another amazing day at the Oregon coast!!
Part 1, the beginning
Part 2, Day 1
Part 3, Day 2
Part 5, Days 4 & 5
Wrap-Up and Family Photos
No comments:
Post a Comment