Our first full day at the Oregon coast, and we had some time that morning to ourselves. So, we loaded up the kids, cranked the radio, and drove south down the coast, and visited the lighthouse at Yaquina Head.... it's a really pretty area.
Gotta love those coastal breezes that are continual!
We saw a ton of sea birds there, hanging out all over the rocky areas, And also, the sea lions were sunning themselves out on the rocks:
(Is that the life, or what? Laying out in the sun, surrounded by surf and all the food you want is as close as a dip in the water. Who wouldn't like that?)
For our day's activity that afternoon, we went with the whole family a little ways north, and we went for a horseback ride on the beach. Emma was super-excited to go horseback riding. This is way more than just a step up from a carousel ride!!
| Emma on "Foxy" |
| Darcie on "Charley" |
Darcie hadn't been riding in several years, and it had been even longer than that for me.
![]() |
| Me on "Sunny", and Indri in the background |
I can't figure out why we all look like we're leaning back in the saddle!!
It felt odd to follow their instructions (rules!) about how to hold the reins. I've never held reins vertically & two-handed like that when I've been riding, and it felt like I was reining the horse in rather tightly by holding it on the color-coded sections of the reins. Plus, I've usually neck-reined a horse, so turning the horse kind of felt like sawing on his mouth. But --- their horses, their rules. I just do what I'm told!!
The younger kids all had to wear helmets, and the very youngest ones were also on a lead rope with one of the girls that took us on the ride. Makes sense.
![]() |
| Alexus thought her horse was being a problem, but she did great with him. |
My horse was the "mischief-maker" and had to be kept back from following the others too closely. Darcie's horse didn't like being approached from the right side, and would kick any horse that came too close. A perfect match-up for my horse getting kicked. Yep! That happened!!
I get such a kick out of this photo of Lane -- his horse is smiling for the camera!!
Still all smiles when she got back!!
It was a ton of fun!
(And I think it's safe to say we were all a little saddle-sore afterwards!)
Dinner that night was really good, we enjoyed eating a whole lot of seafood that week! (This is half our group -- the only way they could fit us in was in two large booths.)
Yum!
Good food, Good company.
Love family!!See more of our Family Reunion Week in these posts:
Part 1, the beginning
Part 3, Day 2
Part 4, Day 3
Part 5, Days 4 & 5
Wrap-Up and Family Photos







No comments:
Post a Comment