Last night, I went around setting all our clocks forward.
Because, seriously -- who ACTUALLY stays up until 2:00 am to do it right then? Nobody.
I've seen quite a bit of commentary lately on my Facebook feed about this very topic. And, most of it is negative.
I can't figure out why people feel so strongly about this. Is it really that big of a deal?
(Apparently it is to some people.)
(Apparently it is to some people.)
Sure, it's a pain to change all your clocks.
Except for my iHome, next to my bed. It literally has a switch on the back, just for Daylight Saving time. Flip the switch, and DONE. So easy. And atomic clocks take care of themselves, for the most part. I have a finicky atomic clock that fights the time change.
And sure, we "lose" an hour every spring. You don't hear near the complaints in the fall, when we "gain" an hour. We're not losing or gaining anything -- it's merely a shift of time. They should call it, "Daylight Shifting Time".
I never think of it as "losing an hour's sleep". Of course, I'm probably chronically sleep-deprived, so I can fall asleep ANYtime. When the kids were younger, I would sometimes take a few days to adjust their bedtimes, to help them transition, but REALLY ---- it has never been a problem for my family. I tend to think of it more as "losing" the time to get things done. One ONE weekend a year. (Because I "gain" the hour on the opposite weekend.) And it's the weekend, for pity's sake. When Life is a bit more relaxed ANYWAY.
And I LIKE the fact that I have more daylight during those summer evenings. Spending time out in the yard, the garden, the patio, .... I really LIKE that. And as the days get longer, I LIKE the fact that daylight doesn't start at 3:00 am. But then, I like daylight. I've said it before.
I'm totally fine with Daylight Saving Time. Do I think that we actually save on energy costs? Probably not. We Americans are such energy hogs, it doesn't make that much of a difference.
You may disagree with me about Daylight Saving Time. And that's fine. You're in the majority.
In the mean time (no pun intended), our country still follows it.
SO, ........ I win!
Me and Benjamin Franklin.

No comments:
Post a Comment