Since you don't live with it, you've probably forgotten that we're kind of in the middle of another remodel job. If you've been reading, you might recall that I wrote about the beginning of the project back HERE.
It's kind of interesting to be working on the laundry room. I'm pretty sure we have moved the washer and dryer in and out of the laundry room at least three or four times now, so far. And by "we", I mean "Todd." He takes them out so he can work on the room, and then moves them back in so I can get the laundry done again. The appliance hand truck is getting a lot of mileage on it!!
Here's some of what's been happening:
To accommodate some of the cabinetry, it was necessary to move the door to the laundry room. Last night, Todd and I were tallying up how many doors have been moved or changed or added in our house. So far, that is. We're at 6, and have another in the immediate plans. That doesn't count the replacement of 8 doors in the basement, not long after we moved in. (They didn't move -- just got updated and lightened up.)
So, moving the door meant patching in sheetrock and then mud, tape, & texture.
Now THAT, ladies, is a paddle attachment for your mixer!
Todd fills the hopper with the thinned mud, and attaches the air compressor to it.
Then he's ready to shoot:
We taped off EVERYTHING. Ceiling, floor, wall, brick, and hall space on each side. It takes about 4-5 times as long to get the tape and plastic all in place as it does to actually shoot the texture. Todd textured the inside of the laundry room at the same time.
I would have preferred no texture at all inside the room -- just smooth. Because it will go with the design plan. But Todd wanted at least a light "orange peel" texture on.
Outside the room (the hallway), Todd duplicated the "knocked-down" texture that is everywhere in the house. So he allows the mud to partially dry, then he comes back with his trowel and skims the top of it off. (When I was a kid, I used to look for "pictures" in the wall texture next to my bed -- like looking for cloud pictures in the sky.)
By the time we were done, you can't even tell that the wall is new there. It looks like it's always been that way. In fact, a lot of the family members don't realize that the door is over about a foot. We've painted it with the hall color/living room color, and it's all finished out, except for the door casing.
(Don't start a discussion on the actual COLOR of the paint. Todd maintains that it's "green", and I say that it's more of a neutral tan/taupe [with green undertones]. It kind of depends on what light and time of day it is.) Take a look at the living room, and see what you think, in THIS POST. Sometimes the room just looks like a different color.
Anyway. Then we moved on to painting. Since the drywall is new, it needed primer first.
Emma loves to help painting. Don't you love her form?!
The color might be hard to tell in photos, but it's a gray with definite blue tones in it.
(Typical breakdown of painting tasks: Todd does the rolling, and I do the brush in the corners.)
That was also the kidnapping weekend (read about our spontaneous weekend trip to get Alyssa, HERE.), so Alyssa helped Emma out with painting, also. And, trust me, when I tell you that having FOUR people and a stepladder in a 6'x9' room was rather cramped!
The new laundry room will be less than half the size of the old laundry room, but it should be fully functional and -- can I say it? -- even PRETTY -- when we're done.
And finally, ...
Yesterday, Todd finished getting all the tile laid for the laundry room floor.
And yes.
We know that it looks really weird (and wrong) to have a flooring change right in the middle of the doorway. That's what we get for moving the door, right?
We'll get that taken care of, too. It's just not high on the priority list at the moment.
And don't you just love Todd's pricey tile spacers he's using here? They work!!
And I guarantee, they don't cost more than a penny apiece.
I'm loving the wood-look tiles we chose, and the weathered gray coloring. They are 6"x24" tiles, and laid in a 1/3 offset, so they really mimic a wood floor, but WAY easier to clean, maintain, and they're perfect for in a "wet" area of the house. SO excited, here!!
You may not be able to see, but the grout is not done yet.
I'm thinking we need to move the washer and dryer back into the room again so I can get caught up on laundry again before we move on to grout!!
(And in the mean time, last night, Todd wired up 4 can lights, and is ready to hang the pendant -- though we'll probably wait for the cabinetry to be installed first.)
It's certainly coming along!!
LOVE LOVE LOVE the floor! And I love that thw kiss help out! Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLOVE LOVE LOVE the floor! And I love that thw kiss help out! Beautiful!
ReplyDelete