Friday, May 2, 2014

Empty Calendar, Full Days


(Don't you just hate it when you have half of your blog post [or email] written and somehow you've leaned against some key that instantly highlights the entire post and then deletes it before you have a chance to say, "Wait!!!")

So, as usual, I know life is busy because my calendar is blank. One of these days, I will learn to keep writing things on the calendar, even though I think I'm too busy to write it down. I will learn to not only depend on my phone's reminders and my chalkboard, but also on the "real" calendar.

I have not entirely intentionally neglected this blog.

Well, .... I have not posted some of our latest updates because A) they're not complete yet, and B) we were trying to surprise our adult children.

Having said that, I concede that there are probably things I might have posted, but just didn't get done. So, all things in their own time, ok? I promise, I'll show you what we've been up to.

In the mean time, here's a few little (and not-so-little) gems for you:

First, some Emma-stuff:

Kite-flying in March -- we managed not to damage the kite and had plenty of wind. Emma was thrilled! Those pictures are only on my phone (and Facebook), so I'm not adding them here. So shoot me.

She still loves doing sidewalk chalk. You can tell that Darcie is the artist in the family:

 
Sometimes busy days wear a girl out ....

 
 
This year, Emma has embraced [in a huge way] wearing dresses daily. Jeans and leggings (and shorts, now that the weather is warmer) .... are not even on her radar.  So she has some "play dresses" that are more casual than her "Sunday dresses". Here are a few shots from a warm March day.




 

No, she doesn't take dance lessons.

Yes, I should probably enroll her in dance or gymnastics or something like that.

That's forsythia blooming in the background.

The high school softball season started for Darcie, -- her first season without Alyssa there pitching to her.

I have to smile and tell a quick story on her. As a catcher, her coach always has a "courtesy runner" come in for her after she hits and makes it safely on base. If you're unfamiliar with softball, the runner will run the remainder of the bases instead of Darcie, which is designed to a) give a pitcher or a catcher a break, since a catcher/pitcher is working so hard throughout the game, and b) gives another player a chance to be IN the game, instead of sitting the bench, and c) gives your catcher a chance to get all her gear back on before the inning change -- keeping things moving and without delays.

So, the other day, while we were playing an away game in Coeur d'Alene, apparently the behind-the-plate umpire really thought that our Darcie is a pretty great player. In fact, he said that she was one of the best catchers he'd seen. (heart thumps of joy for this momma!) During that particular game, our school's head coach had to be absent, and the assistant coach ran things. She didn't always remember right away about Darcie's courtesy runner. But the umpire remembered.

He remembered so well that after one of her at-bats, as she made it to first base safely, he called "time". And then he turned to our assistant coach and asked, "15 for 21?" -- the uniform numbers of Darcie and her runner who would exchange places. Not only did he totally remember and knew that Darcie had a courtesy runner coming in, but he knew the numbers (probably had written them in his notebook) and actually initiated/reminded our coach about the substitution himself! Wow!



Darcie is the kind of player who consistently hits the ball pretty well, and gets herself on base. Although there was the game when she got hit by the ball in 2 different at-bats........
We were pretty excited for her last Wednesday, when she nailed a 3-run home run against the #1 team in our district, though!! Nice shot, Darcie!! If only we had been there to see it, because our schedules didn't stretch to let us make the 2-hour drive to the game that day. Hopefully there will be other home runs we can watch.

I can tell you that lots more has been happening around here. If it weren't for the photos I've taken, I'd probably forget at least half of what's been going on.

Watch for a few upcoming posts: thought-provoking, home décor, and home improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...