Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Fall Requirement: Pumpkin Bread


So, I started this post almost two weeks ago. And then it hit me.

That is, the worst cold I've had in years, ... HIT me. Like a brick, that is.

And I feel bit guilty for being a baby about it, especially when the same cold hit Todd a few days before, and he worked right through it, and didn't miss a day on the job or anything. Me? I laid around and slept most of that Sunday away, and I just plain felt like crap. So, I broke down and went to the doctor about it, because I did not want to deal with the sinus infection while I'm trying to do a bunch of holiday stuff. I'm not a big one for going to the doctor. When I went to my pharmacy, they commented that I don't get sick much. They'd seen me about a year ago (an infection), and then the last time before that was when Emma was born. Been to the doctor twice in 5 years, and one of those was for childbirth? Yep, that's me!

(There was also the issue with the pharmacy not finding me with current insurance coverage. A nasty little lie that Todd dealt with a few days later. We have a refund coming to us now. May I say that we are NOT fans of the new health care coverage? Our plan is dropping us in January, and we are scrambling to get "finalized" for a new plan. Todd spent 1/2 hour on the phone -- on hold -- today, only to be given a different number to call. And when he called that number, he was informed he needed to call the original number. Oh, the frustrations!)

But, I digress.

The real point of this post is that I made pumpkin bread Saturday morning. I had actually started it Friday night, but knowing I didn't want to stay up late enough for it to finish baking, I just set up a little mise en place the night before, and baked first thing the next morning.


I rather like this recipe for pumpkin bread -- and so does the family. It's an adaptation of the Betty Crocker recipe, just a couple of small changes. It rises well, and is not so flat-in-the-pans like a lot of quick breads can be. Here's the recipe....

2/3 cup shortening
2 2/3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 can (16-oz.) pumpkin
2/3 cup water
3 1/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons lemon extract
2/3 cup chopped nuts
2/3 cup raisins

So, a few notes here:

1. I have become a believer in butter-flavor shortening. When you need the shortening to do the job, but you want it to taste better, this is your product.

2. The size of the pumpkin cans has changed slightly over the years. I think it's only 15 ounces now. No matter. It's the small size can.

3. I love-love-love lemon extract in this recipe. You don't taste it as being lemony, but it makes a difference overall. Trust me on this one.

4. This is one of the few recipes that I use nuts in. I'm not a big fan of nuts IN things. I'd much rather munch them straight. My preference is pecans for this recipe, but walnuts were what I grabbed. They work fine, too.


Anyway... Let's get going!




Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottoms only of two 9"x5" loaf pans.

(By greasing only the bottoms, it gives the rising bread something to grab onto -- on the sides of the pans. If you grease the sides too, it probably won't raise as high. And I use non-stick baking pans.)



Mix shortening and sugar in a large bowl. Like, pretty much your biggest mixing bowl.



Add eggs, pumpkin, water, and lemon extract.


Blend in dry ingredients, except nuts and raisins.

 
Stir nuts and raisins in by hand. This is so you don't chop up the poor raisins in your beaters. Resist the temptation to take a big fingerful of batter into your mouth. Pour the batter into loaf pans.  I know I said two large loaf pans, but this time I did the small ones.... gift size. I use 5 smalls for this recipe. Bake about 1 hour, ten minutes -- until loaves test done with a toothpick. Cool slightly.

 
Ok, well if you're baking the smaller loaves, you'll cook for a little less time -- you just kind of have to judge it. Check them at about 45 minutes. You still want them to test done with a toothpick.
 
Loosen sides of loaves from pans with a skewer or spatula. (I'd use a butter knife, but I am loathe to scratch my non-stick pans!!) And then remove the loaves from pans. Cool on a rack, cooling completely before slicing.  Really. They slice SO much easier when they're cool.

Yep -- that's it!! I wrap them in foil if I want to freeze them for later. Or eat them right away. Or bring them to that day's Relief Society Super Saturday at church. Whatever!

Sooo yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...