I had signed up for three things, and just knew that I would forget them as soon as I walked out of the room. So, I was trying to be efficient -- I pulled out my phone, the only electronic device I had to work with, and I was creating some reminders, so these events wouldn't catch me off guard during the mad-dashes of the hectic holiday season.
The lesson had already started, the clipboards had passed. The topic was Bringing up Children in Light and Truth. I admit I was not focused on what was being said, just trying to get those reminders keyed in. The next thing I know, the teacher said,
".... and I think Marilyn has a house like that."
My antennae went up! I may possibly have had a deer-in-the-headlights look on my face.
...uhhhhhhhhh......
Caught!! Yes, that was the "oh, crap!" moment when I was sure that I really should have been paying attention to the lesson. I have WHAT kind of house? Messy? Clean? Cluttered? More shabby than chic? Smelly? Fresh-smelling? Frantic? Ummm.... what was she saying??
It turned out that the very-sweet teacher that day (who is also my amazing visiting teacher), was talking about having the kind of home where your children want to be, and where their friends feel welcome. The kind of home where teenagers gather. The kind of home where they get together for parties.
"Whew!! Because that could have been a lot worse...."
That afternoon, I thought about that for a while. We hadn't had a party around here for quite a while. Maybe that reputation didn't have any basis in reality. So I took a breath and told my two lovely teenage daughters about my experience in Relief Society. And then I told them that perhaps we ought to live up to the reputation that we seem to already have. And I told them that...
I know. What parent in their right mind does such a thing? I must have been on something.
They were quick to jump on that offer, and planned not one, but two parties. See what I get for being generous?
So in December, we ended up with two parties at our house. The first, which I regret to tell you I have no photos for evidence, was an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party. I only had one old Christmas sweatshirt to offer for wardrobe possibilities. Imagine my relief when I was told that, "it's not even that bad."
They followed up the Christmas party with a New Year's Eve bash. I think it was actually a follow-up from last New Year's Eve party (also at our house), because it followed the same format: our version of "The Amazing Race" to New Year's.
The girls got together & planned it all out. That afternoon, we planted clues, and enlisted a few other parents to help out with some activities along the way. I wish I'd also enlisted them to take photos of the kids while they were doing their Amazing Race challenges. We had enough Amazing Racers that we had them on four teams. Their route took them to various places in town -- a park, the mall, our store, the library, other kids' homes, and not to be missed: Locomotive Park. They were told they had to get a photo of their group dancing with the penguins:
**Insert the "Linus and Lucy" song here.**
(That was Alyssa's group) We decided that there wasn't a good location to hide the following clue, so I waited at Locomotive Park, snapped pictures, froze my fingers off, and handed out the next clue to the teams.
(Darcie's group)
When they got back to the house, we fed them grilled pizzas (always a good option with teenagers -- and besides, the last party featured build-your-own-nachos, so we wanted a change), and then Alyssa and Darcie planned a number of Holiday Minute-to-Win-It games at our house.
Of course, I can't remember all the game names, (and you can Google search for them and find even more) but this one was using a gift box to fan the ornament over to a taped-off square on the floor:
The "Jingle in the Trunk" game:
Balancing ornaments on a yardstick and paper towel tube:
Hanging candy canes on a string... and no, not the easy way:
(You can see our paper snowflakes from an earlier Family Home Evening on the window. Oh, and Darcie's amazing facial expression, too.)
Here's the real way the canes hang -- balance -- on a string:
By the way, just in case you were wondering, finding candy canes in stores on New Year's Eve: NOT possible.
Using your musical skills to play "Jingle Bells" on water-filled glasses... made more difficult by mixing up the order of the tones:
The "Candy Cane Nutstacker" game.
Seriously, I do NOT make these names up.
In one hand, they had to use a candy cane to lift and stack regular hardware-store-nuts, on a plate that they have to hold in the other hand.
After games was a movie, and when it was time for the countdown, (wish I had taken a panorama shot of this) they tossed confetti, shot off the poppers and had a sparkling cider to ring in 2013!
I have to say that although I always worry a bit during parties (mostly I worry about keeping them all entertained and fed!), my girls have a great group of friends. Some of these kids are friends from church, and some are friends from school. Some of these are Alyssa's friends, some are Darcie's friends (some are both!), but all of these kids are really awesome and fun. Everyone is positive with each other, and they include people -- not exclude. I love these kids and I love that my girls have chosen them to hang with.
Friends are such an important influence on youth, and it does my heart good to see these kids get together. And if that means at our house, and for a party, all the better!
Happy 2013!!

No comments:
Post a Comment