Friday, September 21, 2012

Rogue Pumpkin....


I know.

I've neglected the blogs. I'm trying to repent. I won't give you the whole spiel about how busy we've been, with the local wedding reception (still need to get pics of that), school starting, Seminary starting, Preschool starting, making jam, putting in more hours at Welenco, prepping for the fair, ...... or any of that. Because people that whine complain about being "so busy" irritate me. I'm sure you're just as busy as I am.

"And now I'm back,
to let you know
I can really shake 'em down
Do you love me?"

(Sorry, that was just a small musical moment there....)

So, ... onward!

Besides all the stuff I just listed, September brings garden harvests. We actually canned some pasta (tomato) sauce with some of the tomatoes from our garden -- a first for me! (I did make some salsa a couple of years back, and I wrote about it in this post.) Have I mentioned that we do have a larger-than-average-sized garden? The corn did well, and besides having super-yummy, fresh, dripping with butter and salt... corn-on-the-cob for several meals, ... I also tried a new-to-me recipe, that was WAY yummy. You have *got* to try this. Really. I'm afraid I have to insist.

Hit this link RIGHT HERE and go to The Pioneer Woman's recipe for fresh corn casserole. Do it right now. The web version isn't quite the same as the book version (which I use), but it's fairly close. If you want the bonuses of her book's version, then you MUST add some chopped jalapenos and chopped red bell peppers. (No, I'm not getting any kickbacks for promoting Ree's book. Unless she really wants to. Because she and I are best friends. Or, we would be best friends if she even knew me!)  Anyway..... SUPER DELISH!!  Apparently all this goodness has something to do with generous amounts of real butter and heavy cream that you add to it....... but what do I know?

ANYWAY.

Try it, you'll like it. And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming....

So some of the garden at the Haven kinda sorta got away from us a little.  Case in point, the pumpkin plant.


Don't you love the fakey smile that Emma gave me for this? It has to do with the fact that pumpkin leaves (which are as big as she is) are kinda scratchy and pokey, and her mom made her stand in the middle of it, while wearing shorts, short-sleeves, and sandals. Please disregard the weeds around her toes when you check out those adorable white sandals....)

The pumpkin plant has been prolific this year. I'm kinda excited about that, and the fact that I can use 'em for natural fall decor.... until the moment they get carved. I think we counted over 20 pumpkins coming along. YES!!  So, Emma is showing you these three pumpkins, all in a row. This is how she makes her number three with her fingers:


 I tried to teach her a more comfortable way to align those cute little fingers, but she was having nothing of it. So this is what you get. The pumpkin plant has taken over at least half the garden's square footage, including overtaking this tomato plant:


Hands up -- I've got you surrounded. Oh, wait. Did you look closely enough at that last photo? No? Well, here's a closer look at it:


Do you see it now? Because there's a rogue pumpkin that is growing in the middle of that tomato cage!!

Seriously??  YES!! It's the still-green pumpkin, so it's kind of incognito right now. And we have some pretty gargantuan tomato cages, so I had to get Todd to stand in there too. For scale. (Yes, I'm pretty excited that the pumpkins have grown this big!) The orange one on the right is the same one Emma is posing with in the first photo of this post. I'll wait right here while you scroll back to take another look at it.


Unfortunately for the pumpkin, there was only one way to get it outta there:


Let's have a moment of silence for the green pumpkin. Who gave its heart...


Its life was kinda in pieces after the surgery....


But in death, it was able to escape the bands that held it prisoner....


And behind it? It left a new life:


That tomato was perfect, and it got picked right away, too. You can't beat fresh produce out of the garden!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...