Ok, well they're not exactly new. Just new to me.
I know you're thinking that Hot Cross Buns only exist in your Grade 1 Piano book. Not so! My sister bakes them every year for Easter morning breakfast. I feel obligated to point out that this same sister routinely makes gluten-free bread, (in addition to regular bread), numerous basic items from scratch, and has even made homemade mayonnaise. She is the original Earth Mother, and polar opposite from me.
A friend of mine who blogs, recently posted a list of worldwide Easter traditions. Hot Cross Buns are on that list. Actually, they're a Good Friday tradition, and I'm just twisting this to Easter morning to suit my own interests. Furthermore, traditionally, the buns are each supposed to have eleven raisins in them.... signifying the 11 disciples -- minus Judas.
I have decided that I am not going to the trouble of counting out 11 raisins-per-bun until I figure out if the recipe I'm using is any good. NEXT year, I might consider it. I could enlist Emma to count raisins for me -- although it is certainly within her realm of abilities now.
I'll let you know how the Hot Cross Buns turn out. I'm using Pioneer Woman's recipe. In the mean time, you can check out our regular tradition of our Annual Egg-Cracking Contest. We'll be doing that one for sure again and again.
No comments:
Post a Comment