Saturday, January 21, 2012

Let Us All Press On

The snow has melted down a bit.   But hey,  how 'bout that view????
I was looking to see if I had a "summer" version of the view.... but I'm too impatient to delve deeply enough to find it. The winter version has a lot of really good points, too. I do love the way the wheat fields in the background always look striped, (no matter which season) because of how the fields are rotated.


Now, back to the real reason for this post... which isn't nearly as interesting as the view. Let me introduce you to my ironing board. Please note the lovely iron-shaped burn mark, about half-way down the board:

This baby has some history. When I arrived at college, I was barely 18 years old, fresh from home and on a student's budget. My roommates and I decided that we would split the cost of an ironing board (we already had an iron). This was also the apartment that came with an iron-shaped burn mark in the middle of the living room floor. So we went out to K-Mart and bought our ironing board. I don't even remember how we got it back to the apartment from across town. After my second year of school, living in that same apartment, and with some of the same girls, I was engaged to Todd, and the roommates were all going our separate ways. The girls that helped pay for the ironing board decided I should have it, since I was the one getting married. That's how I got this board.

I tell you this so that you can get an idea of the history and age of this thing. Somewhere along the line, I got a new cover for it. (I think the original was that lovely Wedgewood Blue that was so popular in the '80's.) The burn mark is another story, but suffice it to say that it was neither me nor my iron that created it. And it was due to the extremely wobbly nature of the board.

So, I've been in the market for a new one. It took a while to find one that I liked. Welcome to my modern ironing board:

It comes with a sturdy base, neutral cover, handy clothes rack, and funky "secure storage" for the iron itself. And yes, thank you for noticing the wild-patterned carpet (came with the house) in my laundry room. The laundry room is the last on the list for remodels.

Please note also the large window that showcases the lovely view:


Because the view is one of the great things about ironing in my laundry room. And, because once the master bathroom remodel gets underway, this will be the view from the new bathroom, not the laundry room.

I actually enjoy ironing. (My family is reading this and asking, "REALLY???") No, seriously, I do. I like to iron in the morning when the brightness from the window really lights up the workspace. And I have a great view to look at as well! I will be a bit sad when my laundry room shrinks to a windowless overgrown closet. (But hey -- the bathroom will be A-mazing!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...