Friday, October 28, 2011

The OTHER Kind of Pitch in our Lives

When I'm not running around "like a chicken with my head cut off" -- now THERE'S a phrase from my childhood! -- and I stop to think about it, I realize how unique my kids are. Not in a weird way, like ewww, they're so strange. And not in a snotty, superior way, like oh, my amazing kids are so much better than yours ...

No, it's more that I see that my kids are unlike any of their peers. And the reason I say this, is because I know that while they have many friends involved in the same interests, the other kids out there don't overlap into different categories.

For example, both of my [teenage] girls play softball. They have a lot of fun playing competitively all summer long, and beyond. They have made friends on their softball team. But none of those girls are involved in any other aspect of my girls' lives. And maybe it's a bad example, since their team is based in a different city. But the flip side of this is also true: my girls have friends at church, school, and in their music classes..... but none of those girls ALSO play our sports.

So, this week, my girls had their fall concerts for Band, Jazz Band, and Gold Voices. And these are some great kids that participate in the music programs at the schools. (But you won't see them in any of our softball pictures!!)

At Darcie's concert, the band marched in and lined up in front of the stage. Wouldn't you know it -- we were on the other side of the auditorium! Darcie is 4th from the left here:


She also had a moment were she was featured in a solo with the school band. You could tell she was standing for this, if I'd had a different camera angle:




And then, she also had a solo with the Jazz Band! What the heck? First time any of my kids have done band solos, and now it's Darcie with TWO solos. We were proud!


After her concert, I got this cute picture of Darcie with one of her good friends..... who is sporting a badly sprained ankle. I'm not sure how she did piano with this, but she did a great job, too!




And the VERY next night was the high school's concert. It was a bit wild that afternoon when I had to go on an emergency shoe-shopping trip & finally had to drop the new shoes off during their warmups. (I was surprised to find Alys checking the pitch with the a cappella group as they went through their music.) Alyssa enjoys being in Gold Voices, and getting to do music that has a bit more difficulty, but sounds amazing.
This is the whole group. We have the option to purchase her dress, which I wouldn't mind doing, ... if it were LONG ENOUGH! Alyssa has the longest dress of any of them, and even with flat ballet shoes, it's still too short. The plague of her height continues. (Keep growing, sweetie! Two more inches, two more inches!!)




Singing with their music director.




They also gathered on stage later with the other choral groups -- the girls choir, the high school choir, and the Gold Voices kids for one combined song: Battle Hymn of the Republic. It is so nice to see that we live in an area where we can still sing songs that mention Christ at a public school event. They did a great job with it, too. Alyssa is on the back row (of course!), about 4th from the left, with her hair in a ponytail. She is like some of the others, wearing their marching band uniforms, because the band was up next on the program.




And, the final shot of the evening: the marching band did their halftime show. The actual show is being performed tonight at the football game. Those pink gloves are their Breast Cancer tribute to survivors and researchers. (Alys is on the riser, just to the right of the right quad drummer in the drumline.) She's also a squad leader, as well.




Todd and I have discussed before, the fact that we see clearly: people from one area of our life don't understand our involvement in other areas of our life. They think that all we do is what they see us involved with. Which, for my active teenage girls..... is only one facet.


I like to call it........... DIVERSIFICATION. (Or insanity. Take your pick!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...