Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Not Your Grandma's Apron

One of my goals is to have no more unfinished craft projects. I already have enough unfinished projects! I'm actually trying to decrease those also, either by completion or elimination.

So my most recent Relief Society Activity -- I can say they're "mine" if I plan them, right? -- was entitled, "Not Your Grandma's Apron". It was a sewing class, with an apron project -- easy enough for beginners to do. A friend of mine had given me a link to http://www.flirtyaprons.com/. I took one look and loved them. So for our Relief Society Activity, we told the ladies to choose a fabric that represented their own personalities, & they could each sew their own aprons. For myself, I knew I wanted to duplicate an apron like I'd seen on this website. We asked one person to teach the class, and although she had a pattern packet with 3 different styles of aprons, most of the ladies chose to use my made-up pattern.

The only disappointing part was that most people did not finish their aprons that night, including me, and I'd had a head start by having the whole thing cut out, and the neck and waist ties sewn, turned & topstitched. I hate it when people don't get a chance to finish -- I feel like it's partly my fault for having a project that's too big for one evening.

Even after a make-up class, I still wasn't finished. But with my "no unfinished" goal, I was good and got back to it, and finished. Here it is, modeled by Alyssa for the camera:

Even though it looks solid in these photos, it's really a tiny polka dot for the red fabric. And a back view:

I wished I'd had a little more length on the ties, because I like to cross them in the back and tie in the front, and these are barely long enough to make that tie ....but I didn't purchase enough fabric for that. And if I'd thought it through just a little more, I actually could have made the entire thing totally reversible. But it's great for making it up, and I know what I'll change for the next time.

I think it would make a great project (maybe a 10-hour project? hmmm.....) for my girls once school gets out. Alyssa wants...... you guess it: zebra print! I'm not sure what Darcie would do, but for myself, I think I'd like something brighter and more colorful....... as long as it gets FINISHED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...