(Isn't there an unwritten rule that all blog entries need photos?)I got thinking this morning about today's technology, and it struck me that my dad would have really loved this day and age, if he had been alive to see it. He was always a tinkerer, but he really loved his recording gadgets, whether reel to reel, or cassette, or records. And when Radio Shack came out with an early version of a home computer, (archaic, by today's standards!) Dad enjoyed playing on that, as well.
(I think my dad had a secret fascination with looking like Marlon Brando - in the early years. What do you think?)
I can just imagine my dad with a cell phone today. In WW2, he was a Radio Man in the Navy. With a cell phone, he might not always have the latest technology, but he would have really appreciated the potential for what could be done.
And an iPod? Get outta town -- he would have eaten that up!! CD's? and DVD's??
Dad passed away 20 years ago last month, long before any of this stuff was invented. But I know he would have LOVED it!
Then, I jumped on the train of thought, and as I was on Facebook this morning, I was glad to see a post from my cousin, and some other things another cousin was up to.
About 15-20 years ago, when my uncle was still alive, he used to put together a monthly newsletter for his nieces & nephews. It contained pictures, updates, birthdays, anniversaries & highlights. He'd even add jokes and cartoons, especially if he didn't have articles to fill the space. It was not easy to get information submitted, and was a thankless task, but I, being far from any of my family members, really appreciated it.(I could only find this 1950 shot of Uncle A-Rab (Aaron)!)
Can you imagine this same uncle today? He would SO be on Facebook with everyone, would have loved it, and would have an amazing blog, as well! Plus, with desktop publishing, his newsletters would have been absolutely amazing.
I wonder what my dad and Uncle Aaron think about technology today as they look down on me with my computers and phone and texting and CD's..... are they sitting up there saying, "WOW! That is the COOLEST thing!"?

Hey we don't have those pics...I don't have alot of pictures of the Duerden side of the family...would love to have some made up for us. I feel kind of bad that my girls don't know alot about the family..just mine. Thanks for sharing
ReplyDelete