Tuesday, September 1, 2009

20 years Ago.....

(This post is meant for Saturday, September 5th; if Blogger messed that up, then please disregard the datestamp!)

Today is Brandon's birthday.... his first one not at the Haven. It's hard to believe that he turns 20! I thought I would share what was happening in our lives, 20 years ago...... the picture begins swirling, blurry scenes flash as we go back in time......

Ok, so forget that. To tell the whole story would be way too long. Trust me: I started typing it all in. So here's the Reader's Digest Condensed version:

I played volleyball the night before he was born. I also packed my hospital bag the night before. In subsequent births, we found packing the bag is some sort of bizarre trigger. Go figure.

It was a fairly short labor, four-and-a-half hours total, with only the last 40 minutes in the hospital. I had no idea what to expect, and so didn't identify labor right away. The hospital almost didn't take us when we called. Fully dilated on arrival, they summoned an OB doctor (who was leaving) to catch. Todd was a trooper, and was surprised (and to be quite honest: secretly thrilled) that it went so fast. It was the complete opposite of what we had prepared to expect.

Brandon came at 8:41 am, 6 pounds, 11 1/2 ounces. He had one spot on his head where his skin had not finished growing together.... which looked like an open wound... less than 1/2 an inch. To this day, he carries a scar there, and the hair doesn't grow. It's like a built-in bald spot!

Our birth story had spread around the Maternity wing, and later that day, nurses were saying to me, "Oh, so YOU'RE the one who came in and didn't know she was in labor!" I'm not sure if that's something I want to be known for.

Today, Brandon is an awesome young man, and that's my totally biased, completely true opinion. He has always been an achiever, with great grades through school, cool extra-curricular activities (shall we say he has a flair for drama?)..... earned his Eagle Scout rank at 13, is a hard worker, and is of course, now serving a mission on Jamaica. Please check his mission blog for up-to-date posts on his mission.

We are so very proud of him, we'd bust our buttons if we had them! So Happy Birthday, Brandon! We hope you have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. My goodness! Must be wonderful to have such a SWEET labor! Seems like you got a sweet guy out of it too! (Gosh.. He looks just like Todd!)

    Happy Birthday Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Brandon! Sounds like a really easy labor! I'm jealous! It's hard to believe he is 20 now. I remember him as a little tyke. Hope he is having a good birthday in Jamaica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And your link to his blog from this post is off. It has two addresses in it, and blogspot is spelled wrong.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...