Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Life happens. Still.


I've been thinking about this blog lately. Of course, most of those thoughts center on the idea that I've sure neglected this blog!!

And I don't mean to do that. Sometimes, I excuse it by telling myself that I'm living in the moment, or enjoying things so much that I'd somehow miss out if I stopped to write about it. Sometimes, I think about all the pictures I took on the phone, instead of with the "real" camera. Sometimes, I think it's not that big of a deal, because it's really just a quiet little personal blog, with very few readers.

Sometimes -- it's just a recipe post, because those are actually a little easier!




The other day, Emma made a comment to me, that made me pause. She's nine now, you know. Half-way to adulthood, if you can believe that! I can't remember exactly what she was referring to, but she had had a really good day, and was rather happy about it, and said to me, "I'm always going to remember this day!"

I thought it was some sort of parenting win. But then, like the good mom I try to be,  I encouraged her to get out her journal (and for some reason, she has several of them!), and WRITE IT DOWN, so that she really won't ever forget. Well, she started .... maybe she finished. But really, .... I need to listen to my own counsel, here. This blog is kind of my journal. A very public one, to be sure, but there it is. I need to write again. Because I really will forget. And there have been some great memories in these missed months.

SO, here goes!

One thought ....

Yesterday afternoon, it was a pretty day, and for once, we didn't have built-in errands, chores, and busy-ness. Without pre-planning, I told Emma I wanted to read stories outside on the porch swing. I grabbed a storybook from my childhood, and we got started, reading the first two chapters. The story has a lot of Southern drawl written phonetically, so I put on my best Southern accent, and read the dialogue with character voices.

I wasn't sure what she thought of it, and she acted like she was snoozing. Her latest way of avoiding things, is to tell me how TIRED she is, when she's really not tired at all. I finished Chapter 2, and we went back inside. Later, I asked what she thought of the story, and if she still wanted to continue -- and she sounded quite positive when she said yes.

So, we'll go on. But not today, because we've got a softball game this afternoon. I am looking forward to summer, though!! Emma wants 18 Adventures this year, so we'd better get cracking!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...