Things happen for a reason. That's one of Todd's favorite sayings. We've found that applies to many things... softball, included. The girls really enjoyed their summer team last year, learned a lot, made new friends, and had some great experiences. We thought we were set for this summer too, but then our coach's job took him away from the area, and we were once again searching for a team. It's a little more complicated when you consider that we want our girls to play together. So we need a team that is both competetive, and also needs both of their skills.
As we started pursuing our options, we had a workout with a Spokane team, who were interested in both girls, but had a nearly full roster. We kept looking, and had another workout with a different team who were also interested in both girls. We felt it was a better fit, and chose Team 2.
So this weekend was our first tournament with the new team, and as we drove home, we looked at each other and said, "Yeah, we made the right choice."
Compare these first two photos..... see the difference? Scroll down, scroll up, scroll down, scroll u---.... Yep. Red shirt vs. Blue shirt. I must say, this new team comes with plenty of laundry.... more than any other previous team. But I like the look, and I like the extra uniform pieces that can eliminate away-from-home laundry trips. When you have enough to wear, you don't need to wash stuff!! (Until you get back home, and the softball clothing makes a full load by itself!!)
Those were both pics of Alyssa playing first base. She got a lot of play time in that position this weekend. It's kind of a third position for her. Pitcher is her primary position, and 3rd base is her secondary position. But since 1st and 3rd are similar positions -- sometimes called the "hot corners" because of the closeness to the ball -- it's not that much of a stretch to play there for her. Plus, her height is an advantage for 1st base.
She got to pitch some, although not as much as she (or we) would have liked. We're thinking that will improve in our coming tournaments. She did a great job during her innings, and also did pretty well batting...
Darcie had a GREAT weekend. This team needed a catcher in particular, and she benefited from that, getting a lot of play time in her position. I know that her high school experience this spring, as well as last summer's travel season, were both good preparation for this year's summer team. She has to learn all new signs and signals, but I think she's up for it.
That last picture shows why she wears through her cleats so quickly, too.
Yeah.
I didn't get to take as many photos as I would have liked, since I'm having issues with my camera. We picked up a new memory card for it, and Todd has taken it apart twice now, but the shutter keeps getting stuck at random inconvenient times. (Is there ever a convenient time for a malfunction?) Plus, with Emma at playground-age, I divide my time between the bleachers and the slides, so I'm not always at field-side.
And so, I didn't get a photo of her at the highlight of her weekend. But I'm tickled pink (do people still say that?) that Darcie HIT HER FIRST HOME RUN!!!! I was actually at the playground when it happened, but I was watching as best I could from there. So I knew when she was up, and I saw the pitches coming in for her, and I saw the hit .... which is good, because I would have been really disappointed if I'd missed it.
Maybe I'll have the camera going strong for the NEXT home run......
No comments:
Post a Comment