Sunday, August 1, 2010

Silver Anniversary

My name is Marilyn, and I save things.

Like from a long time ago. Like from, oh -- I don't know -- let's say...... 25 years ago???

So I'm a little behind on this post, but I thought you might be interested..... in our 25th anniversary party.

Nobody throws you a Silver Anniversary party, just in case you were wondering. It's kind of something you either throw for yourselves, or you just go away to Cancun, or someplace just as exotic, and call it a day.

So, with Cancun not even on our radar, ..... we bought a bunch of food, emailed a bunch of people, Facebook Announced it, and made it pretty casual. Casual dress. No gifts, please. No decorations, unless you want to count the gas tiki torches and the balloons my girls hung out on the wishing well at the edge of the road. We ordered a cake. We selfishly hoarded the prime rib dinner for just the close family members. (Sorry, everyone else!! LOL) It was not a huge party, but it was nice. We learned 25 years ago that if you get married over the 4th of July weekend, not many people show up to it! But we sure enjoyed sharing the evening with the friends and family that were able to make it here for us.

And then I started digging out stuff. The wedding dress. Just so you know what a skinny wimp I was back then, Darcie had to really suck it in to try on my dress. And, I got married when wedding hats were very much in vogue. Oh yeah. I rocked the wedding hat, too. (And it's the one thing I can still fit in!!)

Then there was other stuff I dug out: The photo album, PLATES!!!!, cake topper, favors, the cake knife (engraved with our names), and the lace gauntlets I wore, too. The colors: dusty rose and silver gray. The photo on the left of the open album (above) shows our original wedding cake: 8 cakes. With the little stairs & mini bridesmaids on them, too!

We didn't try to match colors for this cake.... and it was not even close to how fancy the original was:
The only thing we did, was cut the cake together, with the exact same cake knife, like we did once upon a time, so long ago......

Todd figured I had about 25 years of payback coming to me. And even though I told him to be nice, he made sure I got what was due. Um, yeah.
So although I was prepared to be a lady about the whole thing, I promise you, if you get me, I WILL get you back!!!

As Todd found out. And yes, I had the frosting face, too:



Which goes to show, we are either really immature, or living life to its fullest, and having our fun along the way. Whichever way you want to look at it.
At any rate, I can say that it seems like the years have flown by so very quickly. Sometimes we feel like old fogies, and other times, it's like we were just married yesterday. We have 5 wonderfully awesome kids, who we are extremely proud of, and thrilled for all their accomplishments, both big and small.
Our kids got together with their grandparents, and got us a silver rose that has a kissing couple in the center of the bud. Very appropriate, and a nice touch from them. Thanks, guys!! And here's to the NEXT 25 years -- may they be filled with at least as much happiness as the last 25 have been!
I love you, Babe!! You STILL totally rock my world!!
love,

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary!
    I'm a firm believer that every 10 years we should get anniversary parties... I mean, by then.... you need all new stuff! lol. My Pyrex and tupperware are in need of refreshing. December is our 9th anniversary, I guess I can wait one more year for the presents, haha! :D

    I totally razz my mom about her wedding hat pictures, I must say, That is a trend I'm so glad I missed! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...