I shouldn't be surprised, when I look back on my pictures from the last few months, at how much has happened. And yet -- here I am, feeling kinda surprised at how much has happened! And I am reminded at how truly blessed I am. Which is why I name these posts my Blessings posts -- that's how I feel about it. Let's get started!!
The elementary school had still more spirit days in the spring semester, and while I'm up for crazy hair day just as much as the next person is, I wasn't doing so well in the creativity department ...
That was an octopus.
Sort of.
She liked it, though, and it was way crazier than many other kids. Pretty sure other parents weren't a big fan of the extra crazy hair day, either.
Also for Spirit Days, ..... Tie Dye/70's Day:
I tried to get her to tell her dad, "Peace, man!", when she showed him her look, but she wouldn't do it.
Apparently she thinks I don't know anything about the 70's .
But I remember having a brown suede purse with fringe on it, which I'm fairly sure was a hand-me-down from my sister, Karen. So we grabbed this current-year's-accessory purse to go with the outfit. What goes around, comes around, eh?
In other activities .......
Emma still loves doing the city's Parks & Rec Drill Team program:
It's especially fun when your friend does it with you (Emma's good friend, Alia, is center in the above picture.).
She was especially excited about winning this year's Drill Down in her age category!
It really just comes down to listening carefully, and not making any mistakes. And practice doesn't hurt one little bit, either! Ten-hut!!
I discovered that when you sit in the bleachers at drill team practices (working on hand lettering projects), you get recruited to be one of the dancing moms:
And THAT'S how this picture came to be.
(Well, if you're going to rock it, rock hard!)
Todd and Emma also danced the night away at the annual Daddy Daughter Dance, which always hits right around Valentine's Day:
She's growing so much!!! Emma thinks she's growing out of this activity -- although there are also girls older than she, that go every year, too. We'll see what she thinks next year.
Todd always takes her out to dinner before the dance -- lucky girl!!
Quick shot of a birthday celebration with this handsome guy, too:
This spring was also the moment that a little girl's bedroom grew up.
Truthfully, it's been evolving .... with Disney's "Sophia The First" curtains, "Frozen" Wall decor, and "Trolls" bedding, this momma decided it was time to step away from the logos & characters, and go completely classic & amp it up to a bedroom fit for a "tween". When I showed Emma my idea for the room, she was totally in favor.
So, here's a "before" shot:
Messy? Yes, absolutely. In desperate need of a makeover? You bet!!
Here's our dramatic "after" shot --- remember, no actual paint or carpet was changed. Just decor.
We did a little bit more after this photo was taken, including turning her storage bin case sideways, getting a few new bins, & adding another one for a bedside table + more storage. We also hung many of her Build-a-Bear collection of MLP Ponies. If storage seems like a theme here, .... well it was. Is there enough storage now? Nope -- we need to either do more, or have less stuff. I know what my vote is!!
Completely changing topics ...
I know I'm weird, but I unapologetically am not a fan of gift bags, in general. In a case of desperation, sure. Put your birthday/shower/wedding gift in a gift sack, shove in some tissue, and call it good. For myself, I much prefer a wrapped box.
Make that, ... a beautifully wrapped box. Here's one I did for a baby shower:
Whenever I can, my favorite go-to wrapping ideas include:
- solid or geometric non-themed paper
- wide wired ribbon
- metallic curling ribbon also
- a small hint of what's inside (here, it's baby socks), or a "bonus" small toy/accessory
- a small enclosure card, instead of a large themed one
I know. I may or may not admit to having a problem here. No one I know is as hung up on this as I am. Too old school? For sure. I just think that presentation matters.
So, so, weird.
* * * * * *
Here's a side-by-side of the two tables, the old one on the right, and the new one on the left:
I'm REALLY loving the update!!
* * * * *
For Spring Break, we took a trip to parts south, visiting kids and grandkids -- so much fun to see them again!! Brandon & Cecilia's family are growing so quickly while we're not looking ... any time we can do a getaway to visit, we're all for it!
Oh my goodness!! Those sweet faces!!
Being grandma, doing fingerplays with the littles -- I'm all over that!
We saw our beautiful Darcie, too --- and had a few softball lesson moments:
(wrist flicks)
Sometimes softball takes some explaining.
Sometimes, "explaining" fills some time while we're getting over hurt fingers.
One last shot with the grands before we say goodbye:
Onward ....
* * * * *
Being almost-like-an-only-child means that good friends are extra important.
We love that Emma has good friends to lean on.
To play with ....
... and to be silly with!
Springtime and forsythia ---- just gorgeous!
This is our view from the back of our house. I don't ever get tired of this:
With spring softball, came Todd's involvement with Little League .... this time, instead of just coaching, he's on the board. Again. Vice president over softball.
When it came time for the ceremonial first pitch, the person slated to catch it wasn't there .... so he put Emma's [little!] glove on and took up the spot behind the dish:
Emma was in her first year of Minors this spring. At this level, the girls now pitch to each other -- but if they start walking batters, the coaches take over pitching, to keep the game moving along. Todd and I still feel that the skill level in general has dropped from the time when Alyssa and Darcie came through this level. But we also think we have a lot to offer the girls at this age, so we're coaching again.
Our official photographer graciously offers this free shot to the player with the parent coach. Since we both are on the coaching side of things -- we're both in the photo:
It's been an eventful spring.
In a good way!!
We feel very, very blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment